What do the numbers on the dial of the electromantle heater used in the Distillation Apparatus Set represent?

Document ID

Document ID TE4138

Published Date

Published Date 27/05/2017
Question
What do the numbers on the dial of the electromantle heater used in the Distillation Apparatus Set represent?
Summary
Numbers on the dial of the electromantle heater used in the Distillation Apparatus Set
Answer
The electromantle heater used in the Distiallation Apparatus Set (catalog number/order number 2265300) has an analog control. Each numerical setting represents 10% of the amount of time that the heater is on. For example, at a heat setting of 4, the heater is on 40% of the time and is off the other 60% of the time. At a setting of 10, the heater is on 100% of the time. The heating element has a temperature of 450°C. A liquid will not heat to this temperature and there are many other variables as to what the actual temperature of the solution in the flask will be (based on what the solution is, the glassware, volume, etc.). This is why a temperature is not given and why a thermometer must be placed inside the flask to monitor the temperature.